Why Labor’s childcare policy is the biggest economic news of the election campaign
In an election campaign full of giveaways but short on serious economic reform, Labor’s proposed change to childcare support is the most important economic news.
It fits in with this year’s Grattan Institute Commonwealth Orange Book, which identified getting more women into the workforce as one of the most valuable things the next government could do.
Female participation in the labour force is lower in Australia than in similar countries. It is particularly low for women working full-time.
- Key challenges for the re-elected Coalition government: our experts respond
- Why early childhood education is everyone’s business
- The childcare subsidy calculator you must use before you vote on Saturday
- Federal election 2019: Labor’s childcare proposal ‘a really big deal for typical families’, says Grattan Institute
- Why Labor’s childcare policy is the biggest economic news of the election campaign