Federal Government warned to promote child care, not tax cuts in Federal Budget
Business leader and prominent Liberal Party supporter Tony Shepherd is warning the Federal Government not to go through with handing out tax cuts to households.
The Government has indicated it will announce billions of dollars’ worth of tax cuts to low and middle income households at next weeks’ budget.
“As the former chairman of the Audit Commission, I get the shivers on that,” Mr Shepherd told The Business.
Mr Shepherd attracted widespread criticism as the architect of the Government’s Commission of Audit, which was designed to help the Commonwealth “live within its means” and led to Tony Abbott’s controversially harsh 2014 budget.
- Key challenges for the re-elected Coalition government: our experts respond
- Why early childhood education is everyone’s business
- The childcare subsidy calculator you must use before you vote on Saturday
- Federal election 2019: Labor’s childcare proposal ‘a really big deal for typical families’, says Grattan Institute
- Why Labor’s childcare policy is the biggest economic news of the election campaign